Saturday, November 13, 2010

I  have grown  my collection 
               of old photographs 
significantly in the past year. 
here are three new additions. 

Father in hat with 1 1/2 sons.
 '

I have no idea where this photo is taken. I don't want to know either. Not knowing makes it more of a place that I can never touch, like a fictitious empire city. I find the light airy clouds to be quite beautiful in contrast to the rigid geometrics of the city buildings and grey tone of the open sky.   
This image I find quite odd and lovely at the same time. I was initially drawn to the expression and body position of the floating lady. I like that the tube that keeps her afloat is almost hidden and the small detail in ripples on the water around her feet. Look closely to notice the two shadows lurking beneath her in the water. I envision the figures to be two men who are not planning on getting in the water to accompany her. I am alway happy to find Kodachromes. The colors that they render take me back to the nostalgic images of the 50s that are burned into my mind.